Saturday, March 14, 2009

American Idol Deconstructed

I have never been a fan of the hit show, American Idol. In fact, I don't think I have ever watched an entire episode of the program (I know, how scandalous!) I have friends who watch it regularly for its camp value, and other friends who watch it in earnest. I really do love bad TV as much as the anyone else (Gossip Girl, anyone?), but there has always been something about American Idol that has rubbed me the wrong way, to the point of actually being offended. Since I never watched the show regularly, I never really pondered why I had such a base reaction to it. This morning I came across this article, which puts it all into words for me.

Interestingly, when I first moved to Sydney I got hooked on Australian Idol, which is basically a carbon copy of the American version, even down to the judges! Part of me found it comforting to be watching something that was familiar in my new surroundings, however, I must admit, I was disturbed (and ashamed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment